Take a girl with an iffy start in life. Mix in wanderlust and cooking. And lots of books. Add a dollop of yearning for home and belonging. Knead in a pinch of self-discovery. Let rise and ripen. The result is Cynthia D. Bertelsen’s Stoves & Suitcases: Searching for Home in the World’s Kitchens, a reflective and rollicking saga that begins in an incubator. Cookbooks soon pique her wanderlust and her longing to be elsewhere. A semester abroad in Mexico and a stint in the Peace Corps ignite those embers of wanderlust. That fire never stops burning. Years of living and working and cooking in the developing world follow, with long-term sojourns in Honduras, Haiti, Morocco, and Burkina Faso. It’s an age-old tale of leaving home to find home.
Stoves & Suitcases has been named Best in Food Writing in the USA for 2022 by Gourmand World Cookbook Awards.
Cynthia has also written:
- Mushroom: A Global History,
- A Hastiness of Cooks: A Handbook for Deciphering Historic Recipes and Cookbooks,
- In the Shadow of Ravens: A Novel,
- Wisdom Soaked in Palm Oil: Journeying Through the Food and Flavors of Africa,
- Meatballs & Lefse: Memories Recipes from a Scandinavian-American Farming Life,
A Hastiness of Cooks won the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards in 2020 for the Best in Culinary History category for both the U.S. and the world. Meatballs & Lefse: Memories Recipes from a Scandinavian-American Farming Life was a Finalist in the 2021 Next Generation Indie Book Awards.