Ambassador Stevens was an RPCV. He brought his Peace Corps experience and his values to his appointment as Ambassador to Libya. He was assassinated in an terrorist attack in Libya on September 11, 2012. This week, the then Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton will testify before a House Committee investigating the circumstances surrounding the terrorist attack. In my opinion, the issues have become politicalized. Perhaps the most egregious has been a political commercial aired during the Democratic debate last week that featured the pictures of the four Americans who died at Benghazi and ended with a view of what is supposed to be Stevens grave marker. Some families of the Fallen have deplored the ad. To understand one accounting of what happened immediately before, during, and after the attack, read the testimony of Gregory Hicks, who was in charge when Ambassador Stevens had left on a mission. Here is the link: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/05/08/transcript-whistle-blower-account-sept-11-libya-terror-attack/
As you read, I would ask you to look for answers to the following questions:
1) Where is the Embassy in Libya located? Tripoli or Benghazi?
2) What was Gregory Hicks doing when he missed two cell phone calls from the Ambassador?
3) Were any reinforcements sent to help Stevens?
4) Who was Hicks talking to during the night of 9/11 into the early morning of 9/12?
5) What happened to the fifty plus American personnel stationed at the Embassy?
6) Who retrieved the bodies of the fallen Americans and those others wounded in the attack?