On September 30, 1963, Associate Director Nancy McNulty arrived in Bogota from Lima, Peru, where she had served as an Associate Director for six months. She brought with her a specialty, and expertise in the techniques of teaching English as a foreign language.
These techniques would be employed by those community development Volunteers who teach English in their spare time. They would also be used by the Volunteers specifically assigned to education programs, both at the second school and university level, who went to work about the time that the number of Volunteers in Colombia passed the 600 mark.
scene of the largest Peace Corps effort. The extent of the program required further staff additions. Associate Director Betty Hutchinson arrived in Bogota on January 20, 1964.
Although she was born in Rosario, Argentina’s second city, Betty compelled high school in Lincoln, Neb., in 1938. Four years later, she received her degree in sociology and psychology from the University of Nebraska.
She then worked for the Red Cross as a social worker in Army hospitals overseas. Back to the University of Chicago for a year’s study, she earned a master’s degree in social work and moved on to the University of Colorado Medical Center in Denver as a caseworker and supervisor.
After a series of other positions, in April 1961, she moved to Riva, Maryland and went to work as a medical-social consultant to the Anne Arundel County Health Dept. It was from this post that she applied to join the staff of the Peace Corps.
Charles Neff was scheduled to arrive in Bogota as an Associate Director of March 1, 1964, the third birthday of the Peace Corps. Born in Guadalajara, Mexico, he went to the Webb School in Claremont, Calif., then on to Pomona where he was selected for Phi Beta Kappa while working summers as a houseboy in mountain resorts and as a camp counselor. After receiving his degree in history in 1954, he won a Fulbright award for a year’s study at the University of Munich. He then put in two years of military duty—as a First Lieutenant with an anti-aircraft battalion at Fort MacArthur, Calif.
Back to civilian life in 1957 meant back to his studies for Neff, who enrolled at Yale where, with the help of Danforth and Woodrow Wilson Fellowships, he earned an M.A.in 1959 and a Ph.D. in 1961 with a specialty in Soviet government and diplomatic history.
During the course of these studies, he spent the summer of 1958 at Middlebury College and the summer of 1960 as an information officer with the government Affairs Institute in Washington, D.C.
In September, 1960, he joined the faculty of the University of Hawaii as an assistant professor of political science. In June, 1962, he became coordinator of the world affairs, communism and American studies program for the Peace Corps Volunteers, bound for the Fr East, who took their training at the University of Hawaii’s Hilo campus. It seemed almost a natural step for Dr. Neff to move from this role to a full-time position in the Peace Corps administration.
Research Document: Who’s Who in the Peace Corps Overseas Administration (1963)
The photographs are by Rowland Scherman, Paul Conklin and Jim Walls, first photographers for the agency.