The Peace Corps is always accused of being overrun with ‘bleeding heart liberals” since the first days of the agency when Eisenhower declared the agency was a “juvenile experiment,” and Richard Nixon said it was another form of “draft evasion.” This was when the Daughters of the American Revolution warned of a “yearly drain” of “brains and brawn”…for the benefit of backward, underdeveloped countries.”
However, the following year, Time magazine declared in a cover story that the Peace Corps was “the greatest single success the Kennedy administration had produced.” Still we had many good Americans who hated the agency.
While Leo Cecchini, a good Republican, did not support Kennedy, (not sure he supported the Peace Corps) he did hastily join the agency to avoid being drafted in 1962 and went as a PCV to Eritrea from 1962-64, where he was a very successful PCV and returned home to a brief career at the State Department before starting a number of businesses on his own (just like Don Trump). Now he sells wine and real estate in Florida (just like The Donald) when he’s not vacationing in his lovely home on the island of Majorca. Happily married to another Foreign Service Officer, who is still working for the State Department, they are the parents of two lovely daughters.
Here in this short piece, Leo reasoning why we should ALL vote for The Donald this coming fall. (Leo’s email is: leo
Leo is a good friend and a very good writer. He wrote a wonderful piece about how his father deserted the Italian army during the North African campaign and escaped to America and Washington, D.C. where Leo was raised. Leo, however, is an American citizen and WON’T be deported by Thump if The Donald is elected. I’m not so sure about Leo’s father if The Donald is elected.
Nevertheless, Leo Cecchine proves that all PCVs and RPCVs are not ‘bleeding heart liberals.”
WHY SUPPORT TRUMP?
If one goes beyond the popular concern with where one takes a dump or how to treat ladies or using politically correct speech or other such minutia there are solid reasons to vote for Trump:
1. He is the Republican Party candidate
2. His economic plan embodied in “Make America Great Again” is an innovative and creative approach to restoring a vibrant, pro-growth economy to replace the sad “New Normal” given us by Obama with its lower expectations, less opportunity for new comers to the economy, and general malaise. After eight years we see that government policy will not restore the traditional high growth, robust economy of the past. Obama’s “stimulus” has been no more effective than the Europeans “austerity” at reviving the economy.
3. Trump recognizes that we either enforce our immigration policy or change it. I prefer the latter option.
4. Trump recognizes that there are lands with raging conflict, some the result of our previous intervention, e.g. Iraq, others with no link to the USA, e.g. Yemen. He sees that the root problem is an internal struggle within Islam for dominance that has nothing to do with the USA but can cause us problems, e.g. the Orlando massacre. He wants to stay out of this quagmire but defend ourselves from its egregious acts of violence.
5. Trump wants to re-evaluate our “force projection” around the world leaving other developed countries to do more of their self-defense while we withdraw forces where they are not needed.
6. Trump has promised to be “neutral” in any attempt to solve the Palestinian-Israeli problem.
7. Trump wants us to shake our self-flagellation over past errors and promote the values that have made America great. He is not afraid to say America is the best the world has produced to date.
8. Trump likes women, why else would he have created the Miss Universe competition that is the goal of millions of young women around the world? He is proud of his daughters and one is a major part of his business empire.
9. Trump is the son of an immigrant and is married to one, he understands immigrants.
10. Trump shares with the conservatives of his party total respect for the Constitution.
11. Above all Trump believes in the “American Dream” that he himself have achieved and is convinced is the best stimulus for the hopes and aspirations of his fellow Americans.
Do you really need more reasons to vote Trump?
Yes, here is one reason.